Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to take care of my wet basement problem right now?
Yes, it is necessary that you take care of your wet basement as soon as possible. If nothing else, you need to have your basement inspected by a professional waterproofing company. Failure to take care of a leaking basement could lead to severe damage which might create the need for extensive and costly foundation repairs.
What will happen if I don't fix my foundation problems?
Will insurance cover the cost of my foundation repair?
How do I find the right contractor to fix my basement?
It is important to find a contractor that you can trust. Unfortunately, there is far too many “fly-by-night” contractors who are here today and gone tomorrow.
We recommend the following:
- Always request a written contract. Do not assume that the contractor will fulfill promises that aren’t in writing.
- Make sure your contractor is licensed and insured.
- Don’t always go for the lowest bid. A low price does not always guarantee great quality which is what you will need to maintain and/or increase the value of your home.
- Request references to verify that they have satisfied customers.
- Search for the contractor on the internet to look for any warnings from previous customers.
- Contact the local Business Bureau to view their complaint history. All contractors have complaints, but make sure your prospective contractor does not have a large amount of unresolved complaints.
Why is my basement leaking?
When your home was built, a large hole was dug underneath it and this hole can be compared to a bowl. When it rains, the bowl fills with water and will look for any weak spots in your home to seep into as it tries to level itself. As your home ages, walls settle and crack. Protective coatings, applied during construction that help protect from leakage, crack and cause exterior drainage systems to fill up with silt.
The most common cause of serious leaking problems is rainwater leaking through your basement floor through below ground-level walls. In some cases, water will slowly leak into the basement undetected. In more extreme cases, water enters through visible cracks forming puddles on your basement floor. Surprisingly, the water that you do not see is often the most damaging to your foundation. Therefore, it’s vital that you have your basement inspected by a professional promptly when you suspect you have a problem.
What are the warning signs of a leaking basement?
It is important to have your basement inspected by a professional if you notice any of the following:
- Peeling paint on the walls
- Mildew or fungus
- Tile lifting from the floor
- Water seepage from the walls or floors
- White powder on the walls
- Rust on the furnace, water tank, or lolly columns
- Buckling walls
- Termite or other insect infestation
- Cracks in the walls or floors
- Warped paneling or dry rot
- General dampness or a musty odor in the basement
Are leaking basements a common problem?
Yes, the majority of homes whose basements have cinder block or cement block walls will leak within the first 25 years.
Will the value of my home increase if I waterproof my basement?
What is the cause of foundation problems?
- Clay soils naturally expand and contract, which causes your home to settle.
- Inadequate drainage that causes soil to swell creating movement in the foundation.
- Soft soil that cannot support the weight of the structure.
- Weather changes including drought and very wet seasons can cause soil to contract, expand, or wash away, and water buildup that can leak into your home.
- Roots of trees under and around your home can dry the soil causing it to expand and contract.
- Uncompacted fill material
What are the warning signs of a foundation problem?
- Leaky basement and water damage
- Sloping floors
- Sticking doors and windows
- Sinking foundations
- Bowed walls
- Cracks in the foundation
- Cracked interior and exterior walls
- Settling houses
Am I required to repair my foundation if I want to sell my house?
The value of your home and your ability to sell it will only increase when you have a secure foundation.
What will happen if I repair my house and it settles again?
At Tri-State Waterproofing, we fully stand behind our work by offering a 100% Money Back Guarantee. See our warranty section for more information.
Will my lawn be destroyed following a foundation repair?
We will discuss any landscaping concerns you may have before beginning the foundation repair. We strive to do everything within our ability to keep your lawn the way we found it or better.
100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Get A Free On-Site or Virtual Consultation
We've Been Waterproofing Basements & Crawlspaces For Over 20 years